It's hard to believe that the holiday season is almost here once again. That said, Saturday is November 1!
Myrtle Ave Partnership will once again be coordinating a holiday window painting contest for storefronts on Myrtle Ave. If you're artistically inclined, please consider submitting an idea. last year's entries were awesome.
The Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership is excited to announce the second annual Myrtle Holiday Windows Contest!
To usher in this holiday season we’re inviting local artists to use storefront windows along Myrtle Avenue as a canvas for festive holiday art, and to compete for some great prizes at the same time! The goal of the project is to bring contemporary art and holiday cheer to the Myrtle Avenue streetscape while helping to promote both local businesses and artists. Artists or small teams of artists will be paired with local merchants to create a festive holiday window design in a portion of the storefront window.
The window ‘decorating’ must occur Thursday, November 12th through Sunday November 15th, bringing creative holiday spirit – and hopefully shoppers – to Myrtle Avenue throughout the weekend. The holiday windows will be on display through the end of December and all visitors and shoppers will be able to vote via text message for their favorite storefront design until Sunday, December 13th (winners will be announced shortly afterward). The top three designs will be awarded Myrtle Avenue gift certificates valued at $250 (first place), $100 (second place) and $50 (third place).
Visit our blog from last year to view the winning windows: http://www.myrtleavenue.org/blog/index.cfm/2008/12/29/And-the-Winners-Are
Visit our Flickr site for photos of all the 2008 holiday windows:
- The materials used to create the holiday window scene may include paint, lights, paper, or any other material agreed upon between the artist and the merchant. Be creative!
- If paint is used, it must be temporary and easily removable (all products applied to the windows must be removable and must not damage the glass in any way). Painting will take place on the INSIDE surface of the storefront window.
- The Partnership will supply a $50 stipend per storefront window to cover supplies and services.
- If selected, artists must commit to painting their assigned window between Thursday November 12th and Monday November 16th. This time can be determined during discussions with the merchant partner.
- Artists must include the Myrtle merchant in the design process to ensure that the concept is appropriate for their business. At least one, in-person meeting to discuss preliminary ideas is required. The merchants are very excited about this project, and looking forward to working with a local artist. Some of the most popular designs in 2008 creatively incorporated the business theme somehow. This is not required, just an idea to provide some inspiration!
How to apply to become a Myrtle Holiday Windows ARTIST:
Please send the following VIA EMAIL to Meredith@myrtleavenue.org by Wednesday, November 4th:
- Name, address, telephone and email contact information
- Select up to three Myrtle Avenue businesses that you would like to work with from the list below(or you can let us pair you with a Myrtle merchant if you don’t have a preference).
- Very briefly, tell us about your proposed design ideas for the storefront window.
- A simple sketch, photo or other imagery that represents your idea would be very helpful
- Photos or links to examples of your past work.