Someone asked me recently about neighborhood gyms, and as it turns out, it looks like I may be joining one of them soon (I currently belong to a gym near my office, but I'm starting a new job next week!). I hope to visit them both this weekend, but in the meantime, here are my general thoughts on each: Crunch Fort Greene 691 Fulton St.
- Open extended hours
- Ability to work out at other Crunch locations (ie near my new office)
- Fun, funky classes
- Could be pricey
- Decent selection of morning and evening classes
- So-so weekend class schedule
YMCA Bed-Stuy 1121 Bedford Ave.
- Much more affordable monthly membership
- Seemingly good community programs for kids and teens (not applicable to me, but beneficial for families)
- Very affordable personal training available
- Brand new facility
These are my vague impressions thus far. The affordability of the Y is a big factor, but so is the convenience of extra locations with Crunch for working out near both work and home.
Have a particularly good or bad experience with either?