Yeah, it's a little late. But better late than never, and it's a gorgeous day outside! (My excuse for slacking? Friday was my 30th birthday.) DJs, food, demonstrations, fun up on Clinton Ave:
AFRO-PUNK BLOCK PARTY Sun, July 13, 12—8pm (Clinton Avenue between Myrtle and Willoughby)
The 4th Annual Afro Punk Festival parties its way to a close…on Clinton Avenue
Afro Punk, BAM and MARP have come together again to organize the 2nd annual Afro Punk Block Party, bringing the best underground local artists and artisans, tasty treats from local food favorites, and family-friendly activities directly to Fort Greene and Clinton Hill for an all-day, all-out neighborhood celebration! Not the usual street fair, there’s enough in store to entertain all day. Make sure you find time to check it out, this is definitely an event not to miss!
Here’s just a sample of what you can expect:
Live Music all day
Kudu, J*Davey, The Carps, The Caesarz , DJ Rich Medina, The Dustbin Brothers
- DIY T-shirt screen printing is back by popular demand! The folks from Afro Punk will help kids make a statement by offering a quick screen-printing lesson. (All day)
- Local artist Derick Cross will also be on hand for free facepainting (1pm-6pm)
- Healthy Kids Van – NYC Public Advocate’s office is brining their mobile Community Healthcare Unit, complete with important information for parents and games for kids. Come spin their giant prize wheel and get free stuff like hats and waterbottles! (12pm – 3pm)
- Brooklyn Botanical Garden will be on site to teach us how to compost. Put those food scraps to good use and reduce your garbage footprint! (12pm-5pm)
- BikeNY is offering free bike safety classes for youth! More information and registration (not required) is available here. Please bring your own bike if you’d like to participate! (1pm-4pm)
Homemade sweet treats by The Bakery (their peach cobbler is one of our favorites!)
Tamboril puts a Nuevo Latino twist on Latin favorites
Restaurant New Orleans brings their delicious crab cakes and vegetarian red beans
DIY Fashion, Accessories and Artisan Merchandise
Buy direct from some of the hottest, edgiest DIY designers! We’ll have clothing and accessories for adults and kids alike. Or, beautify yourself with stuff from some of the neighborhood’s best all-natural product-makers, like Karen’s Body Beautiful.
For more info, visit www.afropunk.com and www.bam.org.